Working closely with the interior design team, the Interior Designer is responsible for planning and preparing interior design concepts.
• Formulate preliminary space plans and produce two- and three-dimensional design concepts that are functional, within budget and aesthetically pleasing.
• Understanding the structural requirements of the plans, life safety issues, building codes and other technical aspects.
• Communicating with clients, consultants and contractors.
• Understanding and having working knowledge of materials and products that will be used to create and furnish the space and how texture, color, lighting and other factors combine and interact to make a space.
• Preparing working drawings and assisting with specifications for interior construction, space planning, materials, finishes, furniture, furnishings, fixtures, equipment and millwork; creating sample boards; knowledgeable in the areas of building construction, building materials, specifications, codes, technical drawing and business practices.
• Collaborating with other consultants who offer professional services in the technical areas of mechanical, electrical and structural design as well as any specialty consultants.
• Administering contract documents, bids and negotiations as the client’s consultant.
• Preparing permit and tender documents.
• Understanding the project fee and client budget.
• Providing back-up assistance to other members of the interior design team.
• Comfortable meeting and dealing with architects, contractors, other consultants, other interior designers, material suppliers and specifiers.
• Communication Proficiency
• Presentation Skills
• Collaboration Skills
• Problem Solving/Analysis
• Time Management and Organization
• At least 5 years of experience as an Interior Designer.
• Post-secondary Degree or Diploma in Interior Design.
• Training and supervising junior designers; participating as a team player.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Software/Technology: Revit and AutoCad (Microstation an asset), 3D Software knowledge preferred (Sketchup or 3DMax), Microsoft Office Suite (including Excel), Presentation Software (Image Ready, PowerPoint, Photoshop).
• Understanding Interior Design libraries.
• Working toward NCDIQ.
• Obtained or considering LEED CI certification or AP accreditation.
Travel: Occasional local day travel and overnight travel.
Other Duties: Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for the job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.