Reporting to the Senior Interior Designer and/or the Principal & Global Lead for Interior Design, the Interior Designer is responsible for planning and preparing interior design concepts. Our design teams have created exceptional, iconic environments for leading hotels, resorts, corporate offices, mixed-use developments across North America and around the globe. This position is for 14 months with the potential of becoming permanent.
• Working closely with a Senior Interior Designer and/or the Principal & Global Lead for Interior Design to formulate preliminary space plans and produce two- and three-dimensional design concepts that are functional, within budget and aesthetically pleasing.
• Understanding the structural requirements of the plans, life safety issues, building codes and other technical aspects.
• Communicating with clients, consultants and contractors as directed by the Senior Interior Designer.
• Understanding and having working knowledge of materials and products that will be used to create and furnish the space and how texture, colour, lighting and other factors combine and interact to make a space.
• Preparing working drawings and assisting with specifications for interior construction, space planning, materials, finishes, furniture, furnishings, fixtures, equipment and millwork; creating sample boards; knowledgeable in the areas of building construction, building materials, specifications, codes, technical drawing and business practices.
• Collaborating with other consultants who offer professional services in the technical areas of mechanical, electrical and structural design as well as any specialty consultants as directed by Senior Interior Designer.
• Administering contract documents, bids and negotiations as the client’s consultant as directed by Senior Interior Designer.
• Preparing permit and tender documents.
• Carrying out construction administration under supervision of Senior Interior Designer.
• Understanding the project fee and client budget.
• Providing back-up assistance to other members of the Interior Design group.
• Post-secondary Degree or Diploma in Interior Design.
• At least 4 years of experience as an Interior Designer.
• Understanding the design process and being able to comprehend the client’s needs and goals.
• Training and supervising junior designers; participating as a team player.
• Well-developed time management and organizational skills required to undertake multiple projects or facets of various projects.
• Comfortable meeting and dealing with architects, contractors, other consultants, other interior designers, material suppliers and specifiers.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Software/Technology: Revit and AutoCad (Microstation an asset), 3D Software knowledge preferred (Sketchup or 3DMax), Microsoft Office Suite (including Excel), Presentation Software (Image Ready, PowerPoint, Photoshop, InDesign & Illustrator).
• Understanding Interior Design libraries.
• Good working knowledge of Provincial Building Code.
• Intern member of provincial interior design professional organization an asset.
• Working toward NCDIQ.
• Obtained or considering LEED CI certification or AP accreditation.